BIG LETTER WRITE
Every October we hold the Big Letter Write and this year is no different, even if we have to meet up in a different way. Keeping connected is more important than ever, and what better way than to connect by writing letters together. Your group can be whoever you like - family, work colleagues, reading group, running group - just get together in a safe way.
Here's how it'll work this year:
1. This year we know it is harder for groups to come together but we hope our Big Letter Write will still inspire you to write, be you on Zoom, outdoors or on FaceTime. We want your event to be fun, so make sure, as well as writing letters, you enjoy conversation and have a drink. If the writing brings up any difficult emotions, the Macmillan helpline can offer support.
2. We’ll send you writing tips when you sign up.
3. People often need inspiration for their letters. We suggest everyone write down a few writing prompts, and then share them with the group. Some of our favourites are: why I love autumn, what I’ve missed most this year, what made me laugh today, my pet, childhood memories of holidays, what I learnt from my dad. Watch out on our social media for writing ideas and prompts. Our campaign is #AutumnWarmth
4. Treat yourself to some bright and beautiful stationery - it makes a huge difference to the recipient.
5. Get on and write your letters. Do take photos of your event for social media even if it is online. #BigLetterWrite. Please tag us in.
6. At the end of the session, send your letter/s with the signed form to: Donate A Letter, PO Box 71038, London W4 9HD.
7. We hope you will also be able to fundraise at your event to help us buy stamps. Any donations are appreciated – to cover the cost of a book of stamps please text STAMPS to 70085 (£3.00 donation). Thank you so much.
Happy writing and, most importantly, stay safe!